The Crucible began in 1999 with a simple idea: to provide an accessible industrial arts studio for artists and makers of all ages and abilities. The Crucible’s mission is to inspire creative exploration and expression through welcoming, hands-on arts education and experiences for everyone. As an innovative hub built around the industrial arts, The Crucible is a catalyst for individual growth and vibrant community connections. A leader in the Bay Area arts community, The Crucible is widely recognized for its exceptional learning experiences, rich and varied arts programs, skilled and committed faculty, and unparalleled educational facilities.
CLASSES AND COMMUNITY
Our industrial arts programs include welding, woodworking, glass blowing, jewelry making, metal casting, ceramics, blacksmithing, and more. Art classes for adults range from Mechanical Sculpture to Design and Make Your Own Waffle Iron. Programs for youth include summer camp sessions, bike repair programs, and free workshops and field trips for partnering schools.
The Crucible operates in a 56,000 square foot facility located in the heart of West Oakland, California, a diverse and evolving neighborhood that includes working class families as well as many artists. We are a cornerstone of this community, and have sought to reduce barriers to entry and provide free programming to local at-risk populations.
Each year, The Crucible serves more than 10,000 people, employs 200 faculty and staff members, and is supported by an additional 250 volunteers. While known for one-of-a-kind industrial arts education programs, The Crucible is also highly regarded for its innovative performances and community events.
- We believe in the power of making and creative risk-taking.
- We celebrate awe-inspiring arts-based experiences and our ability to foster and share them.
- We create an environment that is fun, respectful, non-competitive, and welcoming to anyone who wants to participate.
- We nurture others and ourselves by creating a safe environment in which to test the boundaries of new abilities and artistic expression.
- We appreciate varied life experiences, perspecives, and abilities, and believe that we can all learn from one another through shared creative endeavor.
- We value the skills, craftsmanship, and knowledge of our faculty, staff, and students, and celebrate our opportunities to offer access to broad-ranging expertise and artistic excellence.