HOW TO FIND OAM GALLERIES
Galleries are located between Jack London Square and 26th Street and along the Broadway/Telegraph corridors.
Galleries fall loosely into three districts: 1) Uptown 2) Midtown/Old Oakland 3) Jack London. You may view the First Friday map for more specific locations.
Gallery hours vary, so it is advisable to check venues individually, or check our exhibition schedule to see what is open on the day you are visiting. Typically galleries are closed on Sunday and Monday. A few galleries are open mid-week. More are open Thurs-Sat, and nearly all are open on Saturday.
- Open Tuesday: Pro Arts, Swarm, Vessel Gallery, Creative Growth, SLATE contemporary
- Open Wednesday: Pro Arts, Swarm, Vessel Gallery, Creative Growth
- Open Thursday: Pro Arts, Swarm, Vessel Gallery, Creative Growth, SLATE contemporary, PHOTO, Mercury 20, Chandra Cerrito Contemporary
- Open Friday: Pro Arts, Swarm, Vessel Gallery, Creative Growth, SLATE contemporary, PHOTO, Mercury 20, Manna, Chandra Cerrito Contemporary, Krowswork
- Open Saturday: Pro Arts, Swarm, Vessel Gallery, Creative Growth, SLATE contemporary, PHOTO, Mercury 20, Manna, Oakopolis, FM, Warehouse 416, Chandra Cerrito Contemporary, Krowswork, Studio Quercus, Shadravans, Classic Cars
In addition to galleries, there are several mixed-use retail venues such as shops and cafes that are open most days, and where you can also see local art.
Shops: Oaklandish, Marion & Rose, Crown Nine
Cafes/Wineries: Farleys, Telegraph, Era, Urban Legend Cellars
Metered parking is plentiful during the week, but you may want to bring quarters.
On First Fridays, we recommend taking public transportation or parking in one of the large Douglas parking lots. Download a map of Douglas Parking lots in the area, or view parking on our First Friday map.
To get to the Uptown area using BART, get off at the 19th Street station. For Midtown/Old Oakland, get off at the 12th Street station.
The 12 (Grand St), 51A (Broadway), and 1 (Telegraph) AC Transit buses also come right to the Uptown District. And on weekdays and weekend evenings, the free Broadway shuttle runs every 20 minutes up and down Broadway from 26th to Jack London.
Visiting on First Friday
Uptown can really erupt into a carnival on First Fridays, especially since Oakland First Fridays started hosting an eight-block street festival on Telegraph Ave between 19-27th Streets 5-10pm. Here is some advice for avoiding the crowds and getting in to see the ART:
- Visit Uptown early in the evening (5-7pm) and then head down the corridor to enjoy the Mid-Town, Old Oakland, and Jack London venues: they have some wonderful shows that you will be sorry to miss, and the further south you go, the less crowded it is.
- Use Broadway, not Telegraph, to access 26th, 25th and 23rd street galleries.
- Instead of coming on First Friday, come for Saturday Stroll: EVERY SATURDAY we have 17 galleries and 8 mixed-use venues open from 1-5. Many galleries also hold special events on Saturdays, including receptions, artists talks, concerts, and tours. Just check the Saturday Stroll Schedule